Sunday, August 10, 2014

Laser Guns, Teamwork, and the Art of ספרות!

Brandishing their realistic laser guns

In honor of everyone learning a maamar baal peh this past shabbos we had a very special and unique day of trips.
Every shabbos there is a maamar selected by the staff for each bochur to learn baal peh in exchange for a reward. This past shabbos took that to a new level. Every single bochur spent time shabbos afternoon to learn a maamar bal peh, it was quite a feat. This happened because of the extra shturem that was made by the staff, which led to bochurim making a big deal as well. We knew that this week's prize would be big, but no one had any idea to what extent.

The first part of the day was perfectly normal, it even featured a test on gemara. People were learning hard all day, some even forgot that today would be any different. Thats when the bass dropped. It was crazy. Menashe the laser tag man pulled up with his truck of guns and gear. Within minutes the campus was transformed into a full-on battle ground. Along with Menashe came Tuval the outdoors instructor who would then soon us the real meaning of  אהבת ישראל.

Half the yeshiva left for the soferes center, while half remained on campus to take turns with laser tag and Tuvals amazing bag of outdoorsmanship. The laser tag was by far and above the most impressing I have seen in my life. The guns looked as though they had once been used in the line of battle (knowing Menashe it is very possible), and the playing field felt like a real war zone. We played two games: terrorists v commandos, and capture the flag. It was truly an honor to rescue our dear  מנהל כללי  who had been taken captive by the terrorists. After the laser tag it was time for Tuval.

I have to be honest that I really wasn't expecting much from the outdoors part of the program. This stuff usually bores me, I was looking forward for the next activity. I was dead wrong. The guy is amazing. He taught us such simple yet at the same time amazing games. We learned how to really work as a team and have fun at the same time (maybe it will carry over to the playoffs). We played for an hour until it was time for scenic dinner by the Mitzpe.

After dinner we went to the Soferes Center for the final part of the activity (the guys who did soferes first then went to Tuval and Menashe). The place is a true work of art, I have never seen anything quite like it. We were given a tutorial on the art of being a sofer, and we were even shown how to do it ourselves. They had an interactive video and a gameshow, everyone was involved. My only complaint is that we didn't go there sooner. 

What a day. I wasn't expecting to work so hard on a Sunday, hopefully they will give us a day to recover. Have a great evening. Looking forward to sharing the last week of yeshivas kayitz with you all. Enjoy the pics.




Running really fast during laser tag
"Wow... can you please do this in order?"


Taking test






Before Michel

After Michel





"You know what... it takeh looks better with an open sefer"

He is right


Learning Rambam like a Chossid






Does everyone know how to use the gun?

Oh ya!!
Pow, Pow




What would BiBi do?

"He would probably give back my glasses..."









Don't shoot



Triangle thing covered in camouflage





The two team colors





Laser Tag Mivtzoim


"Wow...these guns have scopes"

"Yep... it has a scope"

Fighting to get a gun with a scope

Someone remembered his headlight



Who is that mysterious man in the middle?

"Wouldn't you like to know?"


"Don't take a picture of me"

I'm gonna cover my face now

"He is currently covering his face!!!!"

"OK...We get the point"







"Are you sure you wanna go out there on your own?"
A chossid is never on his own!
He better not write a stupid caption 



In case you were wondering who the security guard turns to for help...
"We actually weren't wondering"


The Cousins

"Excuse me.. did you say hostage?"







"Come on... wait for me to get my gun"

"I don't think that's an option actually"
"Who said that?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?"
"I actually would"

Take it easy boys

"Relax... it was just a joke"

I'm watching you






















































"The coast is clear"

"I CAPTURED THE FLAG!!"

It appears as if they have indeed captured our flag

"I think they have it"

The captured flags



"I need each team to pick someone nimble, fast, and brave"


Who will we pick for the task?

If you insist

"Hold the rope everyone"

Holding on tight



Representing team Mendel

Give it up for team Menachem




Team Menachem



VS Team Mendel


"I need everyone to lean back"

"Backer!"

"Pull!!"


Team Mendel wins by a hairsbreadth



Playing the walking game


















A real life hologram
"That makes no sense"






























Dinner with a view



"The hotdogs are really quite good, could  I possibly offer you a bite?"

Maybe after I finish learning for Mivtza Torah

"I like how you stuck in Mivtza Torah"


By the way, people shouldn't forget that everyone had to learn a maamar bal peh for this trip